Current Events, Issues, and Trends
At Shine TYC we see the world through the lens of our faith. We’re adding salt and light everywhere we can. We have perspectives and opinions on current events, news, social issues, cultural trends and more. We don’t always agree on these topics. When we disagree, we do so in Christian love.
- Blind People Are ListeningLast Saturday I had the best nap I’ve had in a long time. I was so noticeably refreshed that I pondered the reason with some angst. That’s me, never taking anything at face value. While others may have just gotten up and said “Thank you Jesus,” I needed to understand why I was so rested.… Continue reading Blind People Are Listening
- When You Know Something Is Not RightGovernor John Kasich speaking at the 2020 DNC made me so happy. Not because I’m a die hard Democrat— because I am not. Not because I’m a die hard Buckeye— though I certainly am. But, because I want to stop feeling so yucky and polarized. I did my miserable years at recess in dirty sandboxes… Continue reading When You Know Something Is Not Right
- Clothe Yourselves in Love…and a MaskI can’t believe that with over 160K deaths we are still in debate about whether or not to wear masks. Americans— this includes me— are fed up with not being able to do what we want to do, when we want to do it, and with whom we choose. I’m supposed to be in Martha’s… Continue reading Clothe Yourselves in Love…and a Mask
- Two Lessons from MARRIAGE STORY and FOREVER*** As always I have tried my best to limit any spoilers beyond the overall premise of the film/show I was so happy when Marriage Story appeared in my Amazon Prime video feed. I missed it in the theaters so I was excited to see Adam Driver and Scarlett Johansson in the Oscar-nominated story. Then… Continue reading Two Lessons from MARRIAGE STORY and FOREVER
- Of Course, I See God in HAMILTONThis is SHINE TYC and we see God everywhere…at least that’s our prayer. We see the world through the lens of our faith, we purposely consume entertainment through that same lens. With that being said….like many of you I got my Disney+ subscription this week so I could see the Broadway sensation, Hamilton. It was… Continue reading Of Course, I See God in HAMILTON
- My “Magical Negro” Moment: Your One Black Friend Is Telling You the Truth….I Hope.I’m a “magical negro” and this is my moment to tell you the truth. First, allow me to explain to you what a “Magical Negro” is. I didn’t make it up. In TV and film the Magical Negro is the Black character who helps the White protagonist overcome their challenges. It’s Uncle Remus, Oda Mae… Continue reading My “Magical Negro” Moment: Your One Black Friend Is Telling You the Truth….I Hope.
- Sweet Magnolias: The World We Need, But Can’t Quite Believe In Right NowThis is one of the hardest review assignments I’ve ever had. The difficulty has nothing to do with the show’s characters or its storylines. It has more to do with the current state of the nation. The day I began watching the first season of “Sweet Magnolias” on Netflix I had just written about Amy… Continue reading Sweet Magnolias: The World We Need, But Can’t Quite Believe In Right Now
- The Amy Cooper Apology: Stop Saying “I’m Sorry” and RepentI first fell in love with words when I was seven years old. I still passionately love words today. To speak them, write them, or read them— centers me in the presence of God. Words are powerful. They can invoke pride, fear, comfort and chaos. That’s why when I saw the video of Amy Cooper… Continue reading The Amy Cooper Apology: Stop Saying “I’m Sorry” and Repent
- 4 Things I Love About Jesus…and Michael JordanPhoto: CBS sports Christians can learn something from Kobe Bryant. In the same way that Kobe followed Michael Jordan’s philosophy in basketball, Christians might use the same model to follow the teachings of Jesus. Kobe exhausted Jordan with constant calls at all hours of the night. Likewise, we should pray without ceasing to understand God’s… Continue reading 4 Things I Love About Jesus…and Michael Jordan